Thursday, May 7, 2009

Adventures in Husky-land

Bright and early Tuesday morning Darin and I headed down to the UW for my 12 week appt. We were scheduled for a 2 hour ultrasound where they were supposed to spend one hour on each baby measuring and checking for Down's Syndrome. From there I was scheduled for an Ultracom test and finally a visit with my Perinatoligst (high risk OB.)

I made it all the way to Northgate before I got sick in the car. (Thanks for the bags, Steph!) This was a record for me- I only made it to Lynnwood last time. Progress! God, help me on our road trip to Portland in June!!

We get to the U early and check in for our ultrasound. I was excited and nervous. They made us check out this symptom sheet and if we had any of the symptoms listed you had to wear a mask. Of course I was congested and had to wear a stupid mask. Oh! And they give you stickers to prove that you have been asked the "health" questions. Gotta love the hype of the Swine Flu. Anyway, the girl calls us back to finally see the babies. The tech had the personality of a wet mop. I am sorry, but if you are going to work on Ultrasounds, at least pretend to be happy for the couple looking at their babies. Show some sort of personality. I made sure she pointed out both heartbeats right off the bat to ease my mind. For the first time- they looked like babies not just blobs! We could see arms, hands, fingers, legs, feet and toes! SO CUTE! And holy crap were they active! Oh! And they have already started kicking each other. Thier feet were by each other, heads on the opposite sides- I guess I should be happy that one wasn't kicking the other in the head! The wet mop, err, tech kept shoving the ultrasound into my belly cause she wasn't getting the pictures she needed and it HURT! I told the babies' that it wasn't me who was bouncing them around. 20 minutes later, she was out of the room having the radiologist read her reports. So much for my 2 hour ultrasound. She half heartedly printed me 4 pictures and told me that they were crappy. Which they really were. We got good profiles of Baby B but a Back view of Baby A. I was a little disappointed but had to keep telling myself that it was about making sure the babies were healthy.

I still had nearly 2 hours to kill before my Ultracom appt, but we went up and checked in to see if they by some miracle of God could squeeze me in early. Well, it turns out that their 830 appt hadn't shown up yet so they got me in right away! So for those of you who are lucky enough not to know what an Ultracom test is I'll tell you. Basically they are looking at the blood my heart is pumping out vs. what my veins can pump. They uses this ancient machine with a foot pedal to measure the flow with an ultrasound like wand. You can actually hear your heart pumping the blood. That's the easy part! The hard part is when they measure the veins! They take a probe and push really hard on your throat- it feels like it is choking you and you are trying to breathe without coughing or throwing up. I know the ladies who do this quite well from my bedrest days, so it's fun to catch up with them, but I wish we'd go out for coffee or something! =) They had just finished when the fire alarm goes off!! I kid you not, we had to vacate the hospital!! EVERYONE! So much for thinking we could get out of the hospital early! My Ultracom girls told us where to go so we were under cover- cause it was POURING! 25 minutes later we were back inside and waiting to see the doctor.

I had a great appt with him! We got to hear the heartbeats for the first time! It was so exciting! The Down's test came back with good, they aren't too worried about it. All of my blood tests were great and my ultracom was near perfect. Basically, right now it's a normal pregnancy! Nothing to worry about! The doctor was thrilled and said he couldn't be happier! Which made me extremely happy! Wanna know something crazy? My 12 week 3 day uterus is measuring 22 weeks!!! I am gonna be HUGE!!

I will go back for a quick visit in 4 weeks and our next big appt with the BIG ultrasound is the day before my bday! June 16. What an awesome present! I'll be 18 weeks then. The doctor mentioned coming every 2 weeks after that! Holy Cow!

Things are moving right along!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! I am SO glad my bags actually came in handy!!

And glad to hear the pregnancy is going well so far!!

Amt said...

Sorry that you had such an ordeal but I am so happy for you guys!!

Anonymous said...

You sure can bring back the memories of the MICC! I am so happy that things are going well. Shouldn't that morning (um, I mean, all day)sickness be going away pretty soon. It's something to hope for!
Love you, K