Ah, Super Bowl Sunday. It used to be a good excuse for me to head to the mall with all of the other estrogen, but I married a football junkie and some of the Super Bowl excitement has grown on me. I think it started with the Seahawks attending. I won't say playing in the Super Bowl cause the refs wouldn't let them play... but I digress.
Do you remember where you were Seahawks Superbowl Sunday? I will never forget it. Wait, let me set the story.... When the Seahawks won the division title I got to watch the fireworks up close. Nope not from the stadium, but from the 9th floor of Swedish Hospital which just happened to look out towards Quest Field. Darin was back in the hospital after his transplant with what they thought was an infection in his brain, if only we were so lucky. Poor guy was so excited to watch the playoff game but was so doped up on pain meds and antibiotics he missed the whole thing. I got to run to the window to see the fireworks. I wasn't really in a celebrating mood, so I prayed on the fireworks. Prayed that my husband would be well enough to watch the Superbowl. They send him home saying he is ok, only for him to have a massive siezure a couple of weeks later and send us via ambulence to the ICU. They discovered that he had 3 massive blood clots in his brain, which could ultimately kill him. (Thank you to the nurse who held me up as the doctor told me that news!) Which leads us back to superbowl Sunday. There we are in Neuro ICU. Darin has a tube from his groin up to his brain shooting massive blood thinners directly into the clots. He is strapped to the bed cause any movement can be fatal. He was mostly awake but he doesn't remember much about that time. I draped his Seahawks shirt over him on the bed so he at least looked like his was enjoying the game. The nurses were having their own superbowl party and invited me out to join them. Normally the ICU is a quiet place with only the beeping of the machines, not Super Bowl Sunday, people (nurses and visitors) were cheering and booing. It was actually quiet entertaining! Every TV was turned to the game whether the person was consious or not. I mean doctors and nurses were fans too and didn't want to miss anything!
I guess from that time on I looked at Super Bowl as a turning point. I remember how it was and how it could have been. How that Super Bowl could have been the last one we watched together. From now on, its Super Bowl parties for us! I don't really care who wins or loses, I'll eat too much and I'll enjoy the commercials, but most of all I will cherish the time that we get to spend together with friends. And hopefully win a little money in the process. =D
Happy Super Bowl!
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment